Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher
The Teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing is educated, trained and licensed to serve the variety of needs of students with hearing loss. Their role is to:
- Participate as a member of the Individualized Education Plan team on all students who have a qualifying hearing loss.
- Provide consultation and training to teachers, other school staff and administrators regarding the unique needs of the D/HH student.
- Have knowledge of resources and current best practices.
- Work closely with the classroom teacher and educational audiologist.
- Provide direct individualized services which may include: helping the D/HH student understand his/her hearing loss, communication repair strategies, compensatory/self-advocacy skills and academic support.