In our trimester one science unit, students will learn that:● Light is energy.
● Light travels in a straight line until interrupted.
● Day happens when a location on Earth is facing toward the sun; night happens when a location on Earth is facing away from the sun.
● Sun appears to rise in the east and set in the west everyday due to the earth’s rotation
● The four cardinal directions (east, west, north, south)
● Shadows are the areas of darkness created when an object blocks light.
● The shapes of shadows change over a day and depend on the position of the sun in the sky.
● The sun’s location in the sky varies by season.
● The moon, stars and other planets are always present, but more visible in the night sky
● The earth rotates
● Earth orbits the sun.
● The moon orbits Earth.
● The moon can appear in the sky during both night and day.
● The moon changes its appearance, or phase in a regular 4- week pattern.