During class time, students are often expected to work in one of five stations:
- Read to self, journal, and (often) complete a fluency check
- Small group/partner work: Take turns reading aloud, discussing, and journaling for comprehension of written material
- One page reading with worksheet and CD: student times self reading passage for one minute, predict what will be learned in the passage, listen to passage read ( on CD), reread as necessary for fluency and understanding, 2nd (1 minute) timing, complete answers to comprehension questions
- Read and find new words, write words on "My Words" sheets- should staple multiple sheets together into a word book
- Small group/individual work with teacher on student's current needs.