• Talk to the college you plan to attend — their Financial Aid Office will be a valuable resource to you.

    You must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to apply for financial aid. This should be filled out online sometime after Oct. 1 and before the end of January at the FAFSA website.


    Most schools also require the Minnesota supplement and/or institution form. To determine which form(s) you must file, contact the Financial Aid Office at the college to which you are applying.


    Before completing your FAFSA application, there are several documents you will need to have ready.

    The U.S. Department of Education has created a list of the most common information you will need to know before completing your FAFSA application.


    If you need assistance when completing the FAFSA form, you will have several options:
    • When you complete the FAFSA form on the myStudentAid app or online at fafsa.gov, you will see instructions for each question. You can get additional help by selecting the question mark icon next to each FAFSA question. This will display a "tool tip" that provides information about how to answer that question.
    • In the online FAFSA form at fafsa.gov, you can select the “Help” button at the top of the page to reach the “FAFSA Help” page, where you can view trending FAFSA topics, browse FAQs, and search for more information. Visit the “FAFSA Help” page directly by going to StudentAid.gov/fafsahelp.
    • You can contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center via email at StudentAid@ed.gov or by phone at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing 1-800-730-8913), or you can contact the financial aid office at the school you are interested in attending.
    Filling out the FAFSA Instructions:  https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out
    2020-2021 Summary of Changes for the Application Processing System (see attached for highlighted version).  https://ifap.ed.gov/sumchngsappsys/attachments/2021SumChangesAppProcessSysGuide.pdf
    Aid for students with Special Circumstances (e.g. undocumented students, students with intellectual and developmental disabilities):   https://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1508
     Minnesota GI BIll - now managed by MN Department of Veterans Affairs:  https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/education/minnesotagibill/
    The "2020-2021 Completing the FAFSA form (step by step instructions)" is no longer provided by the U.S. Dept of Education.  Here's a link to their announcement (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/completing-fafsa-discontinued.pdf)

    MN Office of Higher Education "Resources for Undocumented Students"    https://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1586


    Requesting a replacement Social Security Card:

    adults:  https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02017

    children:   https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02723




    To begin your FAFSA application, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa
    (Be sure you are accessing the .gov site) 

    Your application should look like the image pictured below.  Begin your app by selecting the Start Here button and walk through the steps as directed.