Welcome to Explorations!
My name is Joan Heinsohn. I am your child’s K - Exploration Teacher (Science and Social Studies). I am excited to work with your child this year. On this page I have included information regarding: my contact information, schedules and units website links.
Classroom - Intermediate Media
My class schedule this year…
Digital Day 1
Digital Day 2
Digital Day 3
Digital Day 4
Digital Day 5
2:40 – 3:10
K-5 Science and Social Studies Units…
Science -Materials in
Social Studies –
Economics and Geography
Social Studies – History
Science - Plants and Animals
What is Inquiry?
Inquiry is a process that we use to explore science and geography topics during the year. Inquiry is a student lead process where students learn through a learning cycle. Inquiry encourages students to use what they already know, ask questions, make predictions, learn through self-discovery (through hands-on activities), record their observations and then communicate what they learned (with peers and teacher). Inquiry also allows the student to reflect on what they learned and act on what they learned (change thoughts and future actions). Inquiry is a cyclical process and encourages students to re-evaluate their thinking and start the inquiry process over again.
What will your child will learn about this year?
Each grade level has a program and grade level understandings document. This documents articulates what students should understand and be able to do when they leave the K-12 program in Anoka-Hennepin. The grade level understandings demonstrate what students should understand and be able to do when they leave each grade level. The grade level understandings increase in complexity as students progress through the K-12 program. You can look up the program and grade level understandings and grade level units by visiting the link below.
Grade level Science, and Social Studies Units Link
1. Go to https://www.ahschools.us/Page/988
2. Click on Grade Level
3. Choose Science or Social Studies
4. Choice Unit for more details of what your child is working on at each grade level.
Science Games, songs, and videos we see this year…
Unit 1-Materials in Our World
Recycling Videos- You Tube
· Magic School Bus- Happy Earth Day! Recycling
· Magic School Bus “Holiday Special” on Recycling
Unit 2 –Plants and Animals
· Plants Parts Song - https://youtu.be/sXrnHff2Kjc
· The Needs of a Plant Song - https://youtu.be/dUBIQ1fTRzI
· The Tiny Seed, by Eric Carle - https://youtu.be/ls6wTeT2cKAThe
· The Magic School Bus Bees and Behives https://youtu.be/0vRQcX8RcLg
· The Magic School Bus Plant Seeds https://youtu.be/kJ64tO9Tv3g