Useful InformationLunch: 11:50 - 12:15Recess: 1:30 to 2:00 p.m.Main Office Phone: 763-506-4500Absentee Line: 763-506-4506
STEM Integration FocusSun, Moon, StarsApollo MissionStructures of LifeClassification of PlanetsSound & LightTelescopes & Galaxies
STEM UpdateThird grade students are now studying Light and Sound in Science. During this unit, students will understand how energy appears in different forms, including light and sound. This unit gives children opportunities to explore and learn through hands on experiences. More specifically, students will describe how light travels in a straight line until it is absorbed, redirected, reflected or allowed to pass through.Furthermore, students will be able to explain the relationship between the pitch of a sound, the rate of vibration of the source and factors that affect pitch. The assessment at the end of this unit asks students to apply what they have learned to engineer a new musical instrument. The students will work with a partner to explain how their instrument changes its sound using vocabulary from the unit (pitch, tone, volume, frequency, etc.)
This unit ties seamlessly with our aerospace theme. Students gain a deeper understanding of energy through the electromagnetic spectrum. We discuss how different wavelengths allow us to see different things, specifically galaxies. We observe a Hubble image of multiple galaxies and students have an opportunity to sort them based on color and shape.
New Reading Curriculum: Wonders
- Ways to talk about their reading with partners and the class.
- Strategies to help them pronounce long words.
- Strategies to figure out the meanings of hard words they read.
- How to find important details in fiction stories and nonfiction articles as they read.
- How to analyze what they read and write about it.
- Read together a fiction story. Discuss what happens in the story and who the characters are.
- Read together a nonfiction book or article. Ask your child what the story is about. Discuss what kinds of photos and images they see. What can they learn from these images?