Welcome Letter for Students
July 31, 2019
We hope that you are having a wonderful summer. We are in full swing with our building construction. Currently the construction crew is working on classrooms, the addition to the fieldhouse, the weight room, and completing the main entrance. As exciting as this is to get updates to our building, it does create a few changes in our daily routine. I ask for your patience during this construction phase as entering and exiting the building will be different with certain areas closed for different periods of time.
Please take a moment to review some important upcoming dates and times for the 2019-20 school year here at Anoka High School (AHS). These are planned to help your student have a smooth transition into their new school year.
Student Passport/Picture Day - Wednesday, August 14th:
Stop at the school anytime between the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the following:
● Individual student pictures and school ID pictures to be taken in the Auditorium.
o ID Pictures are required for all students Grades 9-12.
o Picture order forms are on the school website under ‘Student Passport/Picture Day’. If you wish to order pictures, please visit our AHS website and complete the form online. Picture Day ID: EVTV8FNVM
o Students who are not able to have their picture taken August 14th must have their ID photograph taken on September 5th. Picture re-take day is October 9th.
o Students/Parents will be able to leisurely walk parts of the building and discover the locations of their assigned classrooms. Please note certain areas will be inaccessible due to construction. Please pay attention to signs posted throughout the building. Teachers will not be available during this time.
o Students will have the opportunity to sign up and ask questions at the clubs and activities tables. Our goal is to have all our students involved in at least one activity or club. We have over 75 different clubs/activities to choose from!
● Student schedules for 2019-20.
o All schedules will be available online through your student's AH Connect account on August 14th. Please contact 506-HELP, if you have any questions with your account.
o Computer access will be available in the Media Center.
o New this year: Only our 9th grade students will be assigned a locker at AHS. Ninth grade students will be able to see their locker assignment and combinations starting August 14th on Student Vue and Parent Vue. If a 10th - 12th grade student would like to request a locker, they must fill out the Google request form by clicking here or cutting and pasting the following address into your browser: https://forms.gle/xUscoUW96ku6fnV3A
● Schedule Changes
o If a change for a core class is requested for trimester 1, it must be made by Monday, August 26th.
o As in the past, no elective class changes will be made for trimester 1.
o Please review carefully as all schedule changes for trimester 2 and 3 must be made by Friday, October 11th.
o To request a schedule change or to locate your counselor information, please click on the following link: https://www.ahschools.us/Page/22732
Register for Fall Sports/Activities:
● On-line at: AHS website, Activities or by clicking the following link: https://www.ahschools.us/domain/2660 Attend the All Fall Sports student/parent/coaches meetings.
o Football: August 5, 2019 (6 to 7:30 p.m. in the Fieldhouse)
o All other Fall Sports: August 8, 2019 (6 to 6:30 p.m. in the Fieldhouse- Individual breakout sessions to follow)
● Questions? Please email Ms. Six our Activities Secretary, at Sonia.Six@ahschools.us
9th Grade Orientation - Tuesday, August 20th from 7:40 to 11:30 a.m.:
● Buses will run on their normal schedule that morning. A postcard containing your bus route schedule will be mailed to you separately from our Transportation Department. Plan on catching your bus at the designated stop as indicated on your postcard from the Transportation Dept. or via your AH Connect account. You will arrive at Anoka High School between 7:20 a.m. and 7:25 a.m.
● Orientation will begin in the Fieldhouse followed by a presentation, a tour of the school and a mini school day schedule where students can find their classrooms. This is a wonderful event that helps our freshman transition smoothly to the high school setting.
Open House for all Grades 9-12 - Tuesday, August 27th from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.:
● Families are invited to visit classrooms on their own schedule during this time.
o Please remember that you can access your schedule thru AH Connect. Computers are also available in the Media Center.
● Turn in cash/checks for lunch accounts. Place Student ID# and student’s first/last name in memo area of check.
● Pickup/Purchase parking permits at the Finance Office.
o You can purchase the parking permits through FeePay starting August 26th.
o $35.00 Per Trimester/$105.00 for the year
Seniors – Senior Class Picture for the Yearbook
● If you did not take advantage of the David Banks Studio offer this summer for your free yearbook portrait session; David Banks Studio will be at Anoka High School on October 9th from 11:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
o If you have used another vendor for your student’s senior portrait, please follow the directions to upload the picture to the yearbook at https://images.jostens.com/ Please use: 413373672 as the User ID on the website. All Senior Portrait pictures need to be uploaded by Friday, November 1, 2019 to be included in the yearbook.
First Day of School - Tuesday, September 3rd 7:40 a.m. to 2:20 p.m.:
● 7:40 a.m. – Welcome Assembly in the fieldhouse for all students.
● Period 1 to follow assembly.
o ‘Official’ class schedules will be distributed in Period 1.
● Period 4
o The hot lunch program is in full swing serving both full lunch and a-la-carte lunches. The cost for breakfast is $1.60 and lunch is $2.60. You can also mail in your checks to the Child Nutrition Program at Anoka High School or deposit money online through FeePay. There is no fee to pay online through FeePay. To use FeePay, or to log into any of Anoka-Hennepin’s online tools, just visit A-H Connect on the school’s website, at www.ahschools.us/ahconnect.
o Place student’s name, grade and Student ID# in the memo portion of your check.
o We encourage families that may be eligible for free or reduced lunch to please get an application form on-line, pick one up from our information rack across from the main office or call (763)506-1240 as soon as possible as it takes about five days to process the request. To fill out a free/ reduced meal application online, please click on the following link: https://www.schoolcafe.com/anokahennepin. The application for free/reduced must be completed yearly.
Bus and lunch information will be sent separately from the district the last week of August.
Please take time to get involved with the many opportunities available at Anoka High School. Our staff is committed to providing you with a safe, respectful and friendly environment in which you can learn and invest in your future. We believe we have the best students, staff and school anywhere. This is going to be a wonderful school year!
Enjoy the rest of the summer! If you have any questions, please contact the school at 763-506-6200 or check out our website.
Michael D. Farley/Principal