Athletics and activities suspended during COVID-19 surge
(11/19/2020) State leaders provided direction Nov. 18 to discontinue high school and community athletic programs to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our school and community. It’s understood this decision will impact each participant and family in a different way.
- The state order cancels all practices and games for athletic co-curricular programs and school clubs and activities through Friday, Dec. 18.
- The district will refund all participation fees already paid and will discontinue accepting new registrations. This is not a school decision.
- Student registration will be suspended during this time to avoid collecting fees that may need to be refunded later. Registration and funds will be collected when activities resume.
All in-person activities — including practices, group workouts, games, and tournaments must be stopped. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Open gyms.
- Captain practices.
- Weight training.
- Spontaneous group recreation.
This news is understandably upsetting for our activity participants and their families. There is some help you can give in this challenging time though. In order for our students to return to school and participate in athletics and activities, please encourage your student to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Reduce close contacts, by decreasing social gatherings.
- Stay at least 6 feet from other people. Do not gather in groups and stay out of crowded places. If attending group events, maintain sufficient spacing in rooms.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a mask or cloth face covering, if you are medically able to, when in common areas.
- Wash your hands often, especially when in public places. As an alternative, use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Stay home if you are sick. Be alert for symptoms, which can include cough, shortness of breath, fever, headache, chills, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive fatigue, nasal congestion, muscle pain, and loss of taste or smell.
Thank you for the opportunity to provide context regarding our programs and for your ongoing support of our students and schools. Please continue to model and practice health and safety protocols.