Anoka-Hennepin school construction update
(01/11/19) With the snow flying, Fit for the Future construction work is progressing at Anoka-Hennepin’s five traditional high schools and both new elementary schools.
Take a look at the work being done:
- At Andover, the majority of the work has moved indoors as a classroom addition is being added, as well as a major renovation to the school's auditorium.
- At Anoka, construction of the front entrance has progressed to the point where students, staff and visitors are now walking through the new main entry. In addition, the new classroom space is progressing. Both projects are on pace to be wrapped up in time for the next school year.
- At Blaine, the cafeteria expansion and classroom addition are now enclosed and work is being done inside the interior. Once temperatures rise in the spring, work will resume on the exterior of the additions. Both projects are on pace to be wrapped up in time for the next school year.
- At Champlin Park, work is well underway for the addition of new classrooms and the removal of portable classrooms.
- At Coon Rapids, steel has arrived and has been erected as construction continues on the new main entrance, which will make the building more secure and more welcoming to visitors.
- The new Brookside Elementary School in Ramsey and Sunrise Elementary School in Blaine are both progressing and most exterior walls are erected. Much of the schools are closed off to the elements to allow for interior work during the winter. Both are on schedule to be open for the 2019-20 school year. Check out drone footage of the work at both sites (Brookside, Sunrise) from November, courtesy of Jorgenson Construction.
The Fit for the Future plan, which was backed by voters in November of 2017 when the community approved a request for new funding, will create safe and secure learning environments by removing portable classrooms across the district, construct additional schools and classroom space, provide solutions for maintaining quality schools at every building in the district, and address class sizes at all levels.
Check out the timeline infographic for details on each construction project. A majority of the projects will be completed over the next four years.
Updates will continue to be shared at ahschools.us/FitForTheFuture.