• General FAQ

    For more details visit ahschools.us/COVID-19.


    How will I know if school has been canceled?
    You would receive communication from us via the same channels we use when weather causes school or program closures -- email, text, phone, social media and websites.


    Stay home if you are sick — but what does that mean?

    If you’re sick and exhibiting symptoms of a cold, such as a sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, headache and body aches, the CDC suggests people stay home, and not go to work, school or daycare until symptoms have run their course. This means limiting exposure to others outside of your home in the community. In the event you have flu-like symptoms, such as a fever or chills beyond those of a common cold, the CDC suggests 72 hours after a fever with no fever reducing medications, and no sooner than seven days after the first symptom - whichever is longer.


    How will the district monitor students who travel during spring break?
    School districts do not have the authority or the means to monitor the personal travel of students and families, or to restrict school attendance as a result of travel.

    We request that families be aware of, and comply with, the recommendations of the CDC with regard to travel abroad, particularly to countries with Level 3 Travel Health Notices. If families choose to travel to countries on the list, the CDC recommends a 14-day self-imposed quarantine. School districts do not have authority to impose or monitor quarantines for individual students or families, but request that families comply with these recommendations.


    What about school-sanctioned travel?
    The district has reviewed all trips in the months ahead using the travel recommendations and advisories by the CDC for guidance. 


    My child has symptoms but I’m not sure if it is COVID-19?
    If you have a question about your child’s health or your own, contact your primary care physician. School health staff cannot diagnose illnesses. If a student is sent home from school, parents/guardians should follow-up with their own primary physician as they see fit.


    I am hearing lots of rumors about …
    With COVID-19 at the top of the news every night, it's easy to get pulled into a state of panic. Guard against believing “what you hear” from unofficial sources, and from spreading rumors that most often are just that. Anoka-Hennepin Schools will provide information about developments that directly affect our schools, students and staff. Information shared will be based on fact and guidance from our county, state and federal public health partners.

  • Distance learning FAQ

    Continuance of education during a school closure 

    Anoka-Hennepin Schools is pursuing direction from the Minnesota Department of Education regarding continuance of education using distance education such as e-learning. The district is currently reviewing logistics, determining capacity and developing options for consideration to address continuance of education.


    What is considered to be a proper distance learning setup for Anoka-Hennepin schools?

    • Desktop or laptop device capable of running a current internet browser.
    • An iPad or other brand tablet. Any assignments that require extensive typing would benefit from a keyboard.
    • Internet access at speeds around 3Mbps (this is 3G speed on cellular, most other broadband services are faster than 3Mbps).
    • Camera - some assignments may require recording yourself speaking or demonstrating learning. If your computer does not have a camera, a phone's camera could be used as an alternative. Lastly, our Chromebooks do include a camera.
    • A Kindle or Nook is not recommended.


    What companies provide internet for those in need?

    A reliable connection to the internet is more important than ever in helping our students complete homework and succeed with their education. There are a variety of companies offering free or low-cost internet for families in need. They include:

  • Special education FAQ

    Will my student still receive special education services?

    Yes, once general education distance learning begins, special education services will also begin through a distance learning model.

    Will there be changes made to my student’s IEP?

    No, once distance learning begins, case managers will be in contact with families regarding the development of a distance learning plan based on your student’s current IEP. That will reflect changes due to mandatory distance learning, as per the Governor's executive order.

    The distance learning plan will clearly explain what your child’s services will be during distance learning, and it will only be in place during the duration of distance learning. Once students are allowed to physically attend school, your child’s last agreed-upon IEP will resume.

    Who do I contact with questions?

    If you have other questions, please contact your building’s program supervisor (visit the directory). 


    Why will my student need a distance learning plan?

    As a result of learning no longer taking place in the school setting, some services and accommodations are no longer applicable. Examples may include: direct services within the classroom, preferential seating, para escorts from class to class, behavior support, and movement breaks.


    Will there be collaboration between my student’s classroom teachers and their case manager?

    Yes, general education and special education teachers will continue to collaborate daily and weekly as needs arise.

  • Meals and custodial services FAQ

    Is Anoka-Hennepin providing meals for children during the closure?

    Anoka-Hennepin is committed to providing grab-and-go meals at no cost for all children 18 years of age and under who need them during the school closure week starting Tuesday, March 24. Food will be distributed from school buses in the parking lots of select school sites that have been designated as meal pickup locations. Meals will be served from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Visit the COVID-19 information website for information about meal pickup locations. 

    Is there any cost for this food? 
    There is no cost for this food service.

    Can I take a meal for adults in my family or are these just for students?
    No, the meals are for school-aged children and youth 18 years of age or younger.


    Will there be meals available for students with special dietary requirements?

    For all new and existing diet accommodations, CNP will need to know which school you and your child will be visiting and when so that meals will be ready for them.    

    All other modifications, per federal regulations, require a completed diet modification request form signed by a licensed doctor of medicine (M.D.), clinical nurse practitioner, osteopathic doctor (D.O.) or physicians assistant (P.A.C). and a parent/guardian. The form can be found at ahschools.us/dietform. Fax the completed form to the CNP office at 763-506-1253, or mail it to 2727 N Ferry St. Anoka, MN 53303. Modification requests may take up to 10 days to be accommodated. The district will not be able to accommodate a meal modification request without an approved diet accommodation form, per federal regulations.

    Lactose reduced or soy milk is available to students with a written request from a parent or guardian, and provided to the CNP office.


    Cleaning products, routines
    Custodians professionally clean the schools in the evenings, focusing on common areas such as counters, drinking fountains, bathrooms, sinks, and door handles. The cleaning products used by the district are hospital-grade disinfectants on the list of novel coronavirus fighting products, created by the American Chemistry Council’s Center for Biocide Chemistries. The product used in school kitchens is also on the list of recommended. 


    Cleaning on buses

    The district is working with its bus companies to make sure that buses are disinfected (with CDC-recommended solution). This is being done to the most high touch areas: bottom, front and backs of seats, and the bottom row of windows. These organizations are also looking into its overall practices on this.

  • Employee FAQ

    Distance learning March 30 until May 5 

    Governor Walz issued an executive order designed to protect the health and safety of citizens and reduce the spread and impact of COVID-19. As it relates to your role as an Anoka-Hennepin employee, the order extends the school closure and enacts the distance learning model of education Monday, March 30 and continuing through April 30. The order provides staff planning days on May 1 and May 4 to prepare for the return of students to the classroom on May 5. This order could be extended and any changes in this schedule will be communicated to employees by email.


    As always, the health and safety of our employees during this time is imperative as our organization continues to provide the essential services expected by the communities.


    Employees who are sick with symptoms, have been asked to self-isolate by a county/state/federal agency, are in a high risk category, or caring for someone in their household in a high risk category, should stay home and use appropriate sick leave time.


    The district expects its employees to abide by state and federal social distancing guidelines.  

    Will employees be able to work from home?

    More information is in the all-employee communication sent March 25. District employees who are expected to report must follow social distancing guidelines.  

    What about substitute employment positions?

    Substitute positions are not needed for the duration of distance learning. All prior requests have been canceled for this time period.  

    Long-term teacher substitutes will still be expected to report to work. 

    As an employee, what if I feel like I’m sick with COVID-19?

    Employees are asked to report their symptoms to their health care provider and follow those professional’s instructions and the guidelines in place from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Please then share any pertinent information with your supervisor, as with any other absence, and use your allocated sick time as needed.


    I am a district employee. My doctor or county/state/federal agency has told me to  self-isolate or self-quarantine. What should I do?

    Employees who are directed to self-isolate by a county/state/federal agency following the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention directions, should stay home and use appropriate sick leave time.


    Employees should report absences as they currently do, and work directly with the Employee Services department if additional information is needed related to such items as ways to request extended leaves, including leaves under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, FFRCA. Please see the Department of Labor’s notification poster.


    Employees who are defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as at-risk, are caring for a person at-risk in their household, or have been directly exposed to COVID-19, may contact their supervisor and be approved for work-from-home assuming your work can be performed remotely. Please know that you may need to provide medical documentation. If you’re contacted by public health authorities and advised to self-isolate, please advise your supervisor immediately.


    As with any employee absence, you should report time off as you normally do. Specifically, this time off would fall under the “sick leave” category. Absences of more than 10 consecutive work days require medical documentation as a medical leave of absence.


    If an employee’s sick leave allocation (or vacation leave allocation, if eligible) is depleted, but isolation needs to continue, the employee should review any applicable working agreement language (e.g. leave, sick leave bank), which can be accessed via the district website. In the event that all sick and vacation time is used, the employee would need to take time off unpaid.  Without legislative intervention, the district cannot pay individual employees who do not have sick leave available to them. 


    What about child care for employees needing it?

    The district is collecting requests from emergency workers for child care support for elementary school-age children.


    The program is now available to Anoka-Hennepin Schools staff currently working on site that are unable to perform job duties with their children. Families who apply, can begin utilizing District Emergency Care by Wednesday, Apr. 1.


    Employees who are required to work on site and have children younger than elementary school age or have special circumstances, and don’t have child care, please contact your supervisor. 


    I came into contact with a person who is confirmed with COVID-19. What should I do?

    Please follow the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines if you have symptoms.