Welcome to Mississippi Elementary, where our motto is "Aim High, Work Hard and Everyone Learns!"Less than a mile from the Mississippi River, Mississippi Elementary is located in a quiet residential neighborhood in southwest Coon Rapids. The school was built in 1961. Our excellent staff is focused on meeting the needs of each student. Our motto is "Aim High, Work Hard, and Everyone Learns!" We believe that all students are capable of learning, and we regularly encourage and challenge them to work hard and do their best.Mississippi has been an ENVoY certified school for six consecutive years. Learn more about this certification by clicking on the ENVoY link to the left. You can also learn about our Schoolwide Discipline Policy and Otter Awards Programs using the links on the left. We value our relationships with our Mississippi families, and greatly appreciate the many wonderful parent volunteers who give of their time every year. Mississippi Elementary is an excellent school doing great work for students!
Mississippi at a Glance:Grades: Preschool through grade fiveSchool Day: 9:05 a.m. to 3:35 p.m.Enrollment: 410 studentsPrincipal: Ann SangsterMiddle School attended by Mississippi students:
Coon Rapids Middle SchoolHigh School attended by Mississippi students:
Coon Rapids High School
Directions to Mississippi:From Coon Rapids Boulevard, go south on Crooked Lake Boulevard Northwest. At the stop sign, turn left to stay on Crooked Lake Boulevard Northwest at 108th Lane Northwest. At the next intersection, turn right onto Direct River Drive Northwest. The school is located on the corner of Direct River Drive and Crooked Lake Boulevard.
- Free All-Day, Every-Day Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Readiness (Pre-K) Program - Eligible families are free
- English Learners Program (EL or ESL)
- School Social Worker
- Community Education classes
- Adventures Plus (child care program)
- Schoolwide Title Programming
- Music, Art, & Physical Education
- Special Education
- Student Council
- School Safety Patrols
- Talent Development
- Volunteering Opportunities
- Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
- Grades four and five Specialization (students rotate to two teachers)
Our Principles and Core Values:The Mississippi Staff holds the following principles and core values.
- Children have the right to a safe and bully-free environment.
- Children need to be held responsible for their actions.
- Children should be treated with dignity at all times.
- All school staff, including teachers and administrators, are responsible to create a warm, welcoming, and positive learning environment.
- Adults should work to build and maintain positive and trusting relationships with students.
- Family involvement impacts a student’s success.
- Teachers must teach, model, practice, and positively reinforce and review routines and expectations regularly.