What is special education?
The Anoka-Hennepin Special Education department is a team of specialized professionals dedicated to assuring "a free, appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment." Our Special Education department serves a little over 6,000 children who range in age from birth through 21.Each one of our schools serve students with special needs. Most students are served in their neighborhood schools and every effort is made to serve them in the regular classroom setting. For students with unique needs, we have set up specialty programs in various schools across the district to meet these needs.BridgesPathwaysRiver Trail Learning Center
[ALERT]Modified schedule for secondary students and activities canceled for Friday, Jan. 17, 2020
Anoka-Hennepin schools will be implementing a modified school schedule today, Friday, Jan. 17, 2020, due to timing of forecasted winter weather and the capacity of our transportation system. High school students will dismiss 30 minutes earlier and middle school students will dismiss 15 minutes earlier. Elementary students will be dismissed at their regularly scheduled times.
All after-school and evening activities at Anoka-Hennepin have also been canceled for today. Adventures Plus school-age care will remain open until all children have been picked up.
All afternoon ECFE and preschool programs starting after 10:30 a.m. are canceled as well.
Details about what is canceled:
- All “late” (activity buses) are canceled.
- Parent-teacher conferences are canceled.
- Community Education activities and classes scheduled after-school and in the evening have been canceled, including Adult Basic Education, Adult Learning, Aquatics, Community Schools programs (elementary and middle school athletics and enrichment activities/classes), Early Childhood Family Education, Project Power, and Preschool.
- School buildings and other school facilities will be closed for after-school and evening activities, including rental permits.
- All extra-curricular school activities, field trips, games (including away games), school concerts, school plays, school carnivals, etc. are canceled.
- All meetings are canceled.
Details about transportation home:
- All students will be transported home in the usual manner.
- Buses may be late by half an hour or more because driving conditions often slow traffic. Please avoid calling the school or the Transportation Department (763-506-1125) unless your child is more than half an hour late returning home.
- Check out bus arrival times using the FirstView bus app. Details are at ahschools.us/BusApp.
For answers to frequently asked questions on winter weather and school closures, please visit ahschools.us/weather.
Our mailing address at the Educational Service Center is: 2727 N Ferry St.; Anoka, MN 55303.Reach us by phone at 763-506-1350 or by fax at 763-506-1365.Office hours at the Educational Service Center are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.Contact Elementary Director Melissa Hayes at:firstname.lastname@example.org or 763-506-1350.Contact Secondary Director Stacey Dahlby at:email@example.com or 763-506-1350