BooksBooks can be a wonderful way to help children understand and cope with various issues and/or situations!
Listed below are a few books on a few topics. There are so many more titles and topics that are also great resources...check your local library or bookstore!Please feel free to contact me with questions and/or feedback on any of the titles or topics listed below and/or if you have a suggestion for the list...it's helpful for me to hear from parents about new resources that you have found to be effective!
- When Dinosaurs Die, by Laurie Krasny Brown and Marc Brown.
- I Miss You: A First Look at Death, by Pat Thomas.
- Sad Isn't Bad: A Good-Grief Guidebook for Kids Dealing With Loss, by Roberty Alley.
- What on Earth Do You Do When Someone Dies? by Trevor Romain.
- Someone I Love Died, by Christine Tangvald.
- Why Do People Die? by Cynthia MacGregor.
- No New Baby: For Siblings Who Have a Brother or Sister Die Before Birth, by Marilyn Gryte.
- Can You Hear Me Smiling?: A Child Grieves a Sister, by Aariane Jackson.
- When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving and Healing, by Marilyn Gootman.
- Don't Despair on Thursdays!: The Children's Grief-Management Book, by Adolph Moser.
- Rudi's Pond, by Eve Bunting.
- If Nathan Were Here, by Mary Bahr.
- When Your Pet Dies: A Healing Handbook for Kids, by Victoria Ryan.
- Saying Goodbye to Your Pet: Children Can Learn to Cope with Pet Loss, by Marge Heegaard.
- The Day Scooter Died: A Book about the Death of a Pet, by Kathleen Bostrom.
- I'll Always Love You, by Hans Wilhelm.
- When Someone You Love Has Cancer: A Guide to Help Kids Cope, by Alaric Lewis.
- Our Family Has Cancer, Too! by Christine Clifford.
- What About Me?: When Brothers and Sisters Get Sick, by Allan Peterkin.
- When Someone Has a Very Serious Illness: Children Can Learn to Cope with Loss and Change, by Marge Heegaard.
- My Dad Loves Me, My Dad Has a Disease: A Child's View: Living with Addiction, by Claudia Black.
- Elephant in the Living Room, by Jill Hastings.
- Let's Talk about When Your Mom or Dad is Unhappy, by Diana Helmer.
- Sometimes My Mommy Gets Angry, by Bebe Campbell.
- My Family's Changing: A First Look at Family Break-Up, by Pat Thomas.
- It's Not Your Fault, Koko Bear: A Read-Together Book for Parents and Young Children During Divorce, by Vicki Lansky.
- Was It the Chocolate Pudding?: A Story for Little Kids about Divorce, by Sandra Levins.
- I Don't Want to Talk about It: A Story about Divorce for Young Children, by Jeanie Franz Ransom.
- Mama and Daddy Bear's Divorce, by Cornelia Maude Spelman.
- Dinosaurs Divorce: A Guide for Changing Families, by Laurene Krasny Brown.
- Divorce Is Not the End of the World: Zoe's and Evan's Coping Guide for Kids, by Ellen Sue Stern.
- Divorced But Still My Parents: A Helping Book about Divorce for Children and Parents, by Shirley Thomas.
- The Divorce Handbook for Kids, by Cynthia MacGregor.
- Changes: My Family and Me, by Beverly Hopkins.
- What in the World Do You Do When Your Parents Divorce?: A Survival Guide for Kids, by Kent Winchester.
- Jessica's Two Families, by Lynne Hugo.
- My New Family: A First Look at Adoption, by Pat Thomas.
- We Adopted You, Benjamin Koo! by Linda Walvoord Girard.
- All About Adoption: How Families Are Made & How Kids Feel About It, by Marc Nemiroff.
- Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born, by Jamie Lee Curtis.
- You're Not My Real Mother! by Molly Friedrich.
- Happy Adoption Day! by Julie Paschkis.
- My Mei Mei, by Ed Young.
- Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That Make my Day, by Jamie Lee Curtis.
- The Feelings Storybook, by Alexandra Delis-Abrams.
- The Feelings Book: The Care and Keeping of Emotions (An American Girl Book), by Lynda Madison.
- When I Care About Others, by Cornelia Maude Spelman.
- Sometimes I Feel Awful, by Joan Singleton Prestine.
- Sometimes I Feel Like a Mouse: A Book About Feelings, by Jeanne Modesitt.
- What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety, by Dawn Huebner.
- What to Do When You're Scared and Worried: A Guide for Kids, by James Crist.
- Wemberly Worried, by Kevin Henkes.
- When I Miss You, by Cornelia Maude Spelman.
- David and the Worry Beast: Helping Children Cope with Anxiety, by Anne Marie Guanci.
- Jenny is Scared: When Sad Things Happen in the World, by Carol Shuman.
- Let's Talk about Being Shy, by Marianne Johnston.
- I Don't Know Why...I Guess I'm Shy: A Story about Taming Imaginary Fears, by Barbara Cain.
- Help is Here for Facing Fear, by Molly Wigand.
- Stress Can Really Get On Your Nerves! by Trevor Romain.
- Getting Out of a Stress Mess, by Robert Alley.
- Cool Cats, Calm Kids: Relaxation and Stress Management for Young People, by Mary Williams.
- Boy and a Bear: The Children's Relaxation Book, by Lori Lite.
- When I Feel Sad, by Cornelia Maude Spelman.
- What to Do When You're Sad and Lonely, by James Crist.
- The Blue Day Book for Kids, by Bradley Trevor Greive.
- Is It Right to Fight?: A First Look at Anger, by Pat Thomas.
- How to Take the Grrrr out of Anger, by Elizabeth Verdick.
- When Sophie Gets Angry--Really, Really Angry..., by Molly Bang.
- I Was So Mad! by Norma Simon.
- Sometimes I Like to Fight, But I Don't Do It Much Anymore: A Self-Esteem Book for Children with Difficulty in Controlling Their Anger, by Lawrence Shapiro.
- What Are You So Grumpy About? by Tom Lichtenheld.
- When I Feel Jealous, by Cornelia Maude Spelman.
- I'm Frustrated, by Elizabeth Crary.
- Feet Are Not for Kicking, by Elizabeth Verdick.
- Words Are Not for Hurting, by Elizabeth Verdick.
- Hands Are Not for Hitting, by Martine Agassi.
- How To Be a Friend, by Marc Brown.
- Friends: Making Them and Keeping Them, by Patti Kelley Criswell.
- Speak Up and Get Along!: Learn the Mighty Might, Thought Chop, and More Tools to Make Friends, Stop the Teasing, and Feel Good about Yourself, by Scott Cooper.
- A Smart Girl's Guide to Friendship Troubles (American Girl Library), by Patti Kelley Crisswell.
- Cliques, Phonies, and Other Baloney, by Trevor Romain.
- Join in and Play, by Cheri Meiners.
- Share and Take Turns, by Cheri Meiners.
- I'm Sorry, by Sam McBratney.
- Bullies Are a Pain in the Brain, by Trevor Romain.
- Why Is Everybody Always Picking on Me?: A Guide to Understanding Bullies for Young People, by Terrance Webster-Doyle.
- Bye-Bye, Bully! A Kid's Guide for Dealing With Bullies, by J.S. Jackson.
- I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem, by Jamie Lee Curtis.
- Just Because I Am: A Child's Book of Affirmation, by Lauren Murphy Payne.
- Happy to Be Me, by Chris Adams.
- Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem, by Gershen Kaufman.
- Don't Feed the Monster on Tuesdays!: The Children's Self-Esteem Book, by Adolph Moser.
- Your Body Belongs to You, by Cornelia Maude Spelman.
- It's My Body: A Book to Teach Young Children How to Resist Uncomfortable Touch, by Lory Freeman.
- Making It Home: Real-Life Stories from Children Forced to Flee, by Beverly Naidoo.
- Maybe Days: A Book for Children in Foster Care, by Jennifer Wilgocki.
- Families Change: A Book for Children Experiencing Termination of Parental Rights, by Julie Nelson.
- When a Brother or Sister Is Autistic, by Marsha Sarah Rosenberg.