The high school experience
Anoka-Hennepin high schools have a five-period day structure with three trimesters each school year. A one credit course is earned by completing that class over two trimesters.
Some classes are a half-credit and one trimester. Our high schools provide more than 200 courses and electives, which are outlined in the registration guide.
To graduate, students must pass all required courses and earn passing marks in state tests required for graduation. Students have several opportunities to take and pass state required tests.
Grading is a 4.0 scale, with weighted grades awarded to students who earn "C" or better in honors or selected advanced courses. In addition, high schools offer Advanced Placement, College In the Schools (CIS), concurrent enrollment and Articulated Credit (AC) coursess.
Unique high school opportunities
There are a number of unique opportunities available at Anoka-Hennepin high schools:
- Anoka High School – Center for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics – A program that integrates technology and the arts using the design thinking model.
- Blaine High School – Center for Engineering, Mathematics, and Science - An integrated and rigorous, in-depth mathematics, science and engineering program.
- Champlin Park High School – International Baccalaureate Diploma Program - A rigorous, two-year program for college-bound students.
- Coon Rapids High School – Center for Biomedical Sciences and Engineering – An integrated and rigorous, in-depth focus on science, math and medical or engineering courses.
- For students in grades 11 and 12, career and technical education is available in a college setting at the Secondary Technical Education Program (STEP).
- The Anoka-Hennepin Virtual Academy was created in 2021 to meet the needs of online learning.
- Programs combining study and work are available through internships and work experience.
- Students can choose vocational training and career exploration classes at their high school.
- Students can also attain a World Language Certificate and Bilingual/Multilingual Seal.