What is Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID)?
[L. avidus]: eager for knowledge
- A structured, college preparatory program working directly with schools and districts.
- A direct support structure for first-generation college goers, grades four through 12.
- A schoolwide approach to curriculum and rigor working in over 2,700 middle schools and high schools in 39 states and 15 countries.
- A professional development program providing training throughout the U.S.
- In Anoka-Hennepin we offer AVID programs at Northdale, Coon Rapids and Jackson middle schools as well as Andover, Anoka, Blaine, Coon Rapids and Champlin Park high schools.
The mission of AVID
The mission of AVID is to ensure that ALL students, and most especially the least served students who are in the middle:
- Will succeed in rigorous curriculum.
- Will complete a rigorous college preparatory path.
- Will enter mainstream activities of the school.
- Will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges.
- Will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.
AVID's systemic approach is designed to support students and educators as they increase schoolwide/districtwide learning and performance.
AVID student selection
Looking for three things:
- College potential
- Desire and determination
AVID student profile:
- Students with academic potential.
- Average to high test scores.
- 2.0 - 3.5 grade point average.
- College potential with support.
- Desire and determination.
May meet one or more of the following criteria:
- First to attend college.
- Historically underserved in four-year colleges.
- Low income.
- Special circumstances.
Assistant Director of Student Services for Academic Guidance & Interventions