The elementary school experience
Anoka-Hennepin's elementary school program is based on the belief that all children are valuable and unique individuals, and that children learn best when the home, school and community work together.
Reading proficiently no later than the end of grade 3 is a key academic success milestone in Anoka-Hennepin's Building Futures strategic plan. Third grade reading proficiency is important because it sets the stage for future learning and school success. Many steps are being taken to ensure grade three reading proficiency for our students.
Elementary math, science and social studies instruction provide students with knowledge to understand and explore the world around them. Students learn and apply mathematics every day, and math and science curriculum make extensive use of hands-on activities. Specialists teach art, music, physical education and media.
Unique elementary school opportunities
Anoka-Hennepin currently has two specialty schools at the elementary level, which are offered through Northwest Suburban Integration School District (NWSISD):
- Evergreen Park STEM School of Innovation.
- University Avenue Elementary School - Aerospace, Children's Engineering and Science.
Anoka-Hennepin's three other specialty elementary schools are open to Anoka-Hennepin students via in-district transfer:
- Champlin-Brooklyn Park Academy for Math and Environmental Science.
- Hoover Elementary School - Biomedical, Health Sciences, and Engineering.
- Lincoln Elementary School for the Arts.
- Monroe Elementary School - Mathematics, Children's Engineering and Science.
For more information please contact your child's school.