This course addresses content from the Minnesota State Math Standards and Benchmarks for grade 7. Each standard or benchmark is identified by a set of numbers, as shown below. Some benchmarks may be addressed in more than one unit, so the benchmark number will appear more than once. Support resources for each standard or benchmark can be found by clicking on the benchmark number to navigate to that respective page.
Intermediate PreAlgebra Trimester 3 Content
Unit 7 - Geometric and Proportional Reasoning
- 22.214.171.124 Describe the properties of similarity, compare geometric figures for similarity, and determine scale factors.
- 126.96.36.199 Apply scale factors, length ratios and area ratios to determine side lengths and areas of similar geometric figures.
- 188.8.131.52 Use proportions and ratios to solve problems involving scale drawings and conversions of measurements of units.
- 184.108.40.206 Graph and describe translations and reflections of figures on a coordinate grid and determine the coordinates of the vertices of the figure after the transformation.
Unit 8 - Circles with Proportional Reasoning
- 220.127.116.11 Demonstrate an understanding of the proportional relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle and that the unit rate (constant of proportionality) is π. Calculate the circumference and area of circles and sectors of circles to solve problems in various contexts.
- 18.104.22.168 Calculate the volume and surface area of cylinders and justify the formulas used.
Unit 9 - Data and Probability (Experimental, Theoretical and Geometric)
- 22.214.171.124 Design simple experiments and collect data. Determine mean, median, mode and range for quantitative data and from data represented in a display. Use these quantities to draw conclusions about the data, compare different data sets, and make predictions.
- 126.96.36.199 Describe the impact that inserting or deleting a data point has on the mean and median on a data set. Know how to create data displays using a spreadsheet to examine the impact.
- 188.8.131.52 Use reasoning with proportions to display and interpret data in circle graphs (pie charts) and histograms. Choose the appropriate data display and know how to create the display using a spreadsheet or other graphing technology.
- 184.108.40.206 Use random numbers generated by a calculator or a spreadsheet or taken from a table to simulate situations involving randomness, make a histogram to display the results, and compare the results to known probabilities.
- 220.127.116.11 Calculate probability as a fraction of sample space or as a fraction of area. Express probabilities as percents, decimals and fractions.
- 18.104.22.168 Use proportional reasoning to draw conclusions about and predict relative frequencies of outcomes based on probabilities.