English Learners overview
The primary goal of the English Learners (EL) program is to help students to use U.S. academic English, understand the culture of U.S. schools, and be successful learners. In our program, students will understand:
- English is used to communicate for a variety of purposes in social, cultural and academic settings.
- English language strategies support academic achievement in content areas.
- English language mastery requires proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
English Language instruction:
- Direct English language instruction is delivered by licensed EL teachers.
- All teachers are teachers of students that qualify for EL services.
- All teachers provide a language rich environment accessible for all students using research-based instructional strategies.
- Direct EL instruction is provided in small EL groups and sheltered EL classrooms.
- EL teachers build a foundation of content knowledge, academic problem-solving skills, and language proficiency.
- Curriculum and instruction is aligned to WIDA English Language Development Standards as well as the Minnesota K-12 Academic Content Standards
English Language students, families, and community
- Multilingualism as an asset.
- Interpreters and translation services for families’ home language.
- Language-rich school learning environments.
- Bilingual SEALS opportunities for students.
Language Instruction Educational Program (this document will available in a translatable version soon).