Middle School Overview
Starting middle school is a time of great excitement, growth and discovery. Most students look forward to middle school because it means they are growing up and gaining independence. At the same time, the transition to middle school can be a little scary. Students may be apprehensive about meeting a lot of new people, getting lost in a large school building, or having a hard time with their locker combination. We are working hard to make sure that your child feels at home when he or she joins our school next fall.
Every middle school in the Anoka-Hennepin School District has programming designed to help students feel comfortable throughout their middle school years. Where Everybody Belongs (known as WEB) trains eighth grade student leaders to welcome sixth grade students to the school. WEB student leaders help new students learn survival skills, including how to use their planners, how to organize their schoolwork and how to get from class to class. They help students learn what it takes to be successful in middle school.
The middle school curriculum is designed to meet the interests and abilities of students:
- Students’ test scores and teacher recommendations are used to assign them to English Language Arts (ELA), mathematics, and science courses that are appropriate for their individual achievement levels.
- Students who perform significantly above grade level may be assigned to upper level mathematics courses or to advanced mathematics, which offers individually-paced instruction.
- Students whose skills are significantly above grade level in reading and writing may be assigned to Advanced ELA (grades 6, 7, or 8).
- Students who perform significantly above grade level may be assigned by test scores and recommendations to advanced science courses.
- Students performing below grade level in math and/or reading may be assigned to additional math and/or reading support courses.
Refer to the registration guide for more information including planning chart and refer to frequently asked questions about registration.