CogAT (Cognitive Abilities Test)
The CogAT (Cognitive Abilities Test) is a reasoning and problem-solving assessment and provides insight into abilities not fully measured by achievement tests across three domains; verbal, quantitative and nonverbal. Anoka-Hennepin administers the CogAT to students in the 2nd grade. The online untimed assessment includes multiple choice questions in each of the domains; verbal, quantitative and nonverbal.
The test is divided into batteries reflecting each domain, each battery has 3 components. Students will take the test on chromebooks with their homeroom teacher or in a small group.
The verbal battery:
- Picture (Verbal) Analogies - identifying relationships between pictures.
- Picture (Verbal) Classification - determining how pictures are alike.
- Sentence Completion – listening to a sentence or question and selecting the picture that best fits the question.
The quantitative battery:
- Number Analogies – identifying relationships between quantitative concepts.
- Number Puzzles – identifying equations presented as trains that must carry the same number of objects.
- Number Series – relies on patterning skills selecting the next sequence.
The non-verbal battery:
- Figure Matrices – identifying relationships between spatial forms and uses the same thought processes as the picture and number analogies.
- Paper Folding – identifying what will happen to a piece of paper that is folded then cut in some way then unfolded.
- Figure Classification – infer relationships between shapes and figures, uses the same thought processes as picture classification.
Testing time for each battery is estimated at 45-60 minutes. The total estimated time is two to three hours for all three batteries.
Level 8 Battery
# of items
Estimated time per battery
Session 1: Verbal Battery
Test 1: Picture Analogies
Test 2: Sentence Completion
Test 3: Picture Classification
Session 2: Quantitative Battery
Test 4: Number Analogies
Test 5: Number Puzzles
Test 6: Number Series
Session 3: Nonverbal Battery
Test 7: Figure Matrices
Test 8: Paper Folder
Test 9: Figure Classification