For interested student athletes:
- Monday - Friday 5:45pm-8pm at Northdale
- Saturday 9:45am-12pm at Northdale
- Monday and Wednesday 5pm-5:45pm strength training at CRHS
- 7th-12th grade welcome!
- No swimming or diving experience necessary
- Everyone gets to compete regardless of ability - we do not cut athletes
- All you need is a swimsuit and goggles
- Practices are at Northdale Middle School Pool, generally from 6pm-8pm.
- Girls' season begins Monday, August 12, 2019 and ends in late November.
- Boys' season begins Monday, November 25, 2019 and ends in late February.
- Questions? Call or text Coach Doug at 612-440-4630 or email at email@example.com
BiographyThe 2019-2020 school year will mark Doug Donaldson’s fifth year as Head Coach of the Coon Rapids Girls’ and Boys’ Swimming and Diving Teams, and his eighth year of coaching overall. In 2018 he was named the Section 7AA Boys’ Head Coach of the Year. Prior to becoming a head coach, he twice earned Assistant Coach of the Year honors. Doug has had the privilege of coaching 11 individual state qualifiers, 4 state qualifying relays, 20 All-Conference athletes, 9 Academic-All Americans, and his athletes have set a combined 33 school records.
The Girls’ team enjoyed a ton of success during the 2018 season. The team set five new school records, made their fourth consecutive State Championships appearance, and finished 20th overall at the State Championships. The girls achieved their highest point total at Sections since 2015, their highest point total at True Team since 2013, and the largest number of athletes on the team since 2011, with 49 girls.
During the 2018-19 season, the Boys’ team defeated Blaine for the first time in 17 years, and finished with a record of 5-5 in dual meets, their best record since 2002. The boys finished 6th at the Section 7AA True Team meet, their highest finish at that meet since 2012. They followed up that performance with a 6th place finish at Sections, their highest since 2008. Two individuals represented Coon Rapids at the Class AA State Championships, and while the team only scored one point, it was the first point scored at State by a member of the boys’ team since 2004.
Doug is a 2012 graduate of Saint John’s University in Collegeville, Minnesota, and was a member of the swimming and diving team. He graduated from Coon Rapids High School and swam for five years as a member of the Coon Rapids High School Team. He also swam club with the Great Wolf Swim Team.
Doug is the President of the Minnesota High School Boys' Swimming and Diving Coaches Association and also serves as the Northwest Suburban Conference Swimming and Diving Statistician. He is a member of the National Interscholastic Swim Coaches Association and is a National Federation of State High School Associations Certified Interscholastic Coach. Doug works full time at a commercial real estate firm in Minneapolis.