Unit 1 Fiction:I can...
- write about story elements
- explain how the characters change or respond as the plot moves toward the resolution
- explain how an author develops the point-of-view of the narrator or speaker in a text
- analyze how a short piece of literature impacts the whole piece
- determine the theme of a piece of literature
- make logical inferences about a piece of literature
- explain how textual evidence supports an analysis of literature
- locate evidence to support an inference
Unit 2 Non-fiction:I can...
- analyze how the writer has helped the reader understand the text. How are the details of the text organized to support the central idea? (cause/effect, description, problem/solution, sequence/chronological, compare/contrast, question/answer
- determine the main idea of an informational text and how it is conveyed through specific details
- summarize the key supporting details and ideas without using personal opinions or judgments
- determine an author's purpose or point of view in a text and explain how it is conveyed