CEMS Computer Skills for Engineers
Computer Skills for Engineers is a project-based course that emphasizes the use of the Microsoft Office Suite in all professions. Students will become proficient in the following applications: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint. Students will also get a brief introduction to coding utilizing Python and HTML. We will be learning about the proper computer usage and general information technology concepts.
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
- Coding (Python, HTML)
- Information Technology (Security, Windows OS, Networks)
Information will be presented in a variety of ways including:
- Group presentation to introduce a new unit
- Individualized instruction with problem areas
- Self-paced learning using tutorial text
- Be honest.
- Be respectful.
- Be responsible.
- Be polite.
This course will utilize Standards Based Grading (SBI). The grades will be administered as followed:
- Assignments – all must be completed before any retake on LT quizzes or tests.
- Quizzes – 30% of final course grade on each LT.
- Tests – 60% of final course grade on LT.
- Final Assessment – 10% of final course grade. A comprehensive exam integrating Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Students must successfully achieve an overall score of 80% or better on the assessments in order to receive Articulated College Credit from the following institutions:
Class Title College Credits COMP 1002 Computer Technologies for Communication Anoka Technical College 2.0 of 2.0 CPLT 1100 Computer Essentials in the Digital World Hennepin Technical College 3.0 of 3.0 COMT 1107 Introduction to Computer Technology Normandale Community College 4.0 of 4.0
They will register through CTE Credit MN the first few days of of the trimester.