2021 spring sports and activities roundup
(06/03/2021) With the spring sports and activities season wrapping up, here’s a look at who’s heading to state, and how they fared when they performed and played.
The state adapted bowling tournament for autism spectrum disorder (ASD), cognitive impairment (CI) and physical impairment (PI) was held May 10-16 and May 17-23 virtually at home sites.
ASD Girls Singles
- Madeline Oblander - 4th place
- Hannah Windler - 10th place
- Madison Eckhart - 16th place
ASD Boys Singles
- Josiah Bueltel - 1st place
- Sylas Thompson - 3rd place
- Joshua Bautch - 10th place
- Isaac Mwebi - 15th place
- Christian Kennington - 22nd place
- Isaac Matteson - 23rd place
- Landon Parrish - 26th place
- Owen McKinney - 30th place
- Braden Peterson - 41st place
- Carter Knutson - 46th place
- Mason Parrish - 50th place
- Elijah Carter - 59th place
- Jonah Abraham - 60th place
- Ethan Yanta - 65th place
- Jeffrey Peterson - 68th place
- Noah Simonette - 72nd place
- Thomas Ziesmer - 74th place
- Alexander Purinton - 76th place
- Matthew Johnson - 83rd place
- Adan Barott - 87th place
- Sylas Thompson and Aidan Barott - 4th place
- Thomas Ziesmer and Christian Kennington - 12th place
- Noah Simonette and Matthew Johnson - 23rd place
- Carter Knutson and Ethan Yanton - 31st place
- Braden Peterson and Joshua Bautch - 35th place
- Jonah Abraham and Alex Purinton - 40th place
- Isaac Matteson and Jeffrey Peterson - 41st place
- Josiah Bueltel and Owen McKinney - 42nd place
- Madison Eckhart and Elijah McCarter - 44th place
- Hannah Windler and Madeline Oblander - 45th place
- Landon Parrish and Isaac Mwebi - 46th place
CI Girls Singles
- Ellie Tanem - 3rd place
- Olivia Reich - 6th place
- Valerie Larson - 15th place
- Magdalena Workman - 33rd place
- Cassandra Winkelmann - 37th place
- Ella Charette - 63rd place
CI Boys Singles
- Reed Reichenbach - 9th place
- Dominic Gullickson - 12th place
- Dylan Kitzmiller - 17th place
- Gabriel Miller - 33rd place
- William Schreiber - 62nd
- Ella Charette and Ellie Tanem - 1st place
- Gabriel Miller and Reed Reichenbach - 4th place
- Dominic Gullickson and Dylan Kitzmiller - 6th place
- Olivia Reich and William Schreiber - 7th place
- Cassandra Winkelmann and Magdalena Workman - 18th place
PI Boys Singles
- Jack Poster - 4th place
- Samuel Brasgalla - 6th place
- Jack Poster and Samuel Brasgalla - 3rd place
It was recommended by the MAAA that no state tournaments be held in adapted softball in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The state baseball tournament will be held June 15-16 with the semifinals and third place games being played at Chaska Athletic Park. The state championship will be played June 18 at Target Field in Minneapolis.
The Andover High School baseball team is headed to the Class AAAA State Tournament after cruising through the Section 7AAAA tournament. The Huskies met Forest Lake High School in the championship and picked up a 6-3 win June 9 to earn their first state tournament berth. State tournament information can be found on the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) website. Section 5AAAA results. Section 7AAAA results.
The state softball tournament will be held June 15-16 at Caswell Park in Mankato.
The Andover High School softball team is the only Anoka-Hennepin School still alive in section tournament play. The Huskies advanced to the Section 7AAAA Championship game following a 4-3 win over Forest Lake High School June 5. The Huskies will play Forest Lake again on June 10 with a state tournament berth on the line. Forest Lake defeated Blaine High School 2-1 on June 8 to advance to the championship series against Andover in the double-elimination tournament. Section 5AAAA results. Section 7AAAA results.
The state boys lacrosse tournament will be held June 15, June 17 and June 19 at Stillwater Area High School.
The Blaine High School boys lacrosse team lost a heartbreaker in the Section 7A championship game, falling 8-7 in overtime to Chisago Lakes High School. All five Anoka-Hennepin high schools competed in the Section 7A tournament. Section 7A results.
The state girls lacrosse tournament will be held June 16-18 at Stillwater Area High School.
Andover High School girls lacrosse will make its first-ever state tournament appearance after winning the Section 7A tournament. The Huskies defeated Champlin Park High School 14-4 June 9 to earn a trip to the state tournament. Section 7A results.
The state boys tennis tournament will be held June 8-11 at Prior Lake High School.
Coon Rapids High School's Sam Murillo advanced to the Class AA singles state tournament and will begin play against Allen Gong of Eagan High School on June 10.
Boys track and field
The state boys track and field meet will be held June 17-19 at St. Michael-Albertville High School. The section 5AA meet will be held June 9-12.
Girls track and field
The state girls track and field meet will be held June 17-19 at St. Michael-Albertville High School. The section 5AA meet will be held June 9-12 at Moundsview High School.
The Class AA state speech tournament was held virtually April 23.
Ramlah Mohamed of Blaine High School placed sixth in the MSHSL State Speech tournament in Poetry Reading.
The state clay target tournament will be held June 25 at the Minneapolis Gun Club.
Anoka-Hennepin state clay target qualifiers:
- Quinn Steinworth - Blaine High School
- Leo Brand - Champlin Park High School