Welcome to Essential English Prep!
PURPOSE OF THE CLASS:
This class is designed to assist you in strengthening your reading, writing, and communication skills by completing tasks in the areas of short stories, fictional and non-fictional texts.
These skills include:
- Reading and responding to articles, short stories, novels, and movies
- Vocabulary Activities and Assessments
- Independent Reading and Reading Log
- Creating power points
- Writing activities
- Group work
- Class Participation
ESSENTIAL LEARNER OUTCOMES FOR ESSENTIAL ENGLISH PREP
Students will understand that:
· A variety of strategies that can be used to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words
· Determine importance when reading expository text
· Independent and reflective reading will increase one’s understanding of fictional and nonfictional text
· Different formats used in writing
· Present information in a well organized fashion
· Organize, research, and present information from a variety of sources
· Communication requires speaking and listening skills
One binder (provided) with lined paper for English
Pen or Pencils
ABSENCE AND MAKE-UP POLICY:
You are responsible for all work missed during an absence. It is your responsibility to advocate for yourself and request this work. I am available to help you before or after school on an appointment basis.
Cheating will not be tolerated and will result in failure on the assignment or the exam. The following are examples of such behaviors;
- Copying from others’ papers
- Using notes on exams when instructions did not specifically direct you to do so
- Submitting others’ work as your own
- Submitting work done in pairs or groups when instructions did not specifically direct you to do so
Follow directions the first time, no comments are needed.
Be prepared to work and do your best each day.
Help your classmates and yourself by respecting the rights of all students to learn.
Do not talk when the teacher is giving instruction.
No Cell Phones or other electronic devices.
CONSEQUENCES AND REWARDS:
· If needed, a warning, after class with instructor, sent to the office (referral) and phone call home will occur.
· You may be sent out of the room without a warning if you are being disruptive to the class.
· Working hard will get you a good grade. Increasing your reading, writing and communication skills will help you in other classes and outside of school.
GRADING Your grade is based on: using your class time wisely, participation in class, class work, quizzes and tests. In order to pass the class you must complete assignments and tests. Grades will be updated every two weeks.
A = 100-93
B+ = 89-87
C = 76-73
D = 66-63
F = 59 and below.
I have read over and discussed the expectations for Essential English Prep with my parents.
Student Signature Parent/Guardian Signature