___________PAINTING III ___________
* Painting III is designed for 9-12 grade students who have completed Painting I and II.
Ø DESIGN: We will learn how to further use the Elements of Art and Principles of Design while creating
interesting and successful compositions that are an expression of YOU!
Ø COLOR THEORY: We will learn more about color schemes and experiment how to use them in our
paintings. This further study in color will help to make our paintings more expressive!
Ø MIXED MEDIA PAINTING: We will be exploring, experimenting and practicing a wide variety of ways to
create different effects in our painting with different materials.
Ø ACRYLIC PAINTINGS: You will design and create a minimum of 3 paintings, with 1 on a canvas
that you have stretched and prepared yourself! (Watercolor painting can be an option for paintings
2 or 3)
1. REQUIRED: Fauvism Painting: We will be creating a painting using the colorful style
of the Fauvist painters. The subject matter will be “where is your
REFUGE”??? Where do you go to relax and what do you do to “regroup” or
“center” yourself??? We will also be able to incorporate some photoshop
techniques in the designing of this painting. You can either take your own
photograph or combine 2 or more images you have found from other sources.
POSSIBILITIES FOR PAINTINGS 2 & 3:
1. You can design and create a painting that expresses your feelings about a particular
issue – either personal or worldwide.
2. Visual Pun – Combine 2 or more images together to create new and unusual meanings. The
Viewer must mentally elaborate on the visuals to interpret the message. Examples could
be: watch dog, bookworm, Gatorade, etc. OR you could use a Metaphor such as: it is
raining cats & dogs, you’ll be blown away, a bubbly personality, etc. See me for more
3. Altered Painting – Choose a painting created by a professional or famous artist and “alter” it
In a way to totally change what is being communicated.
4. Design and creating a painting that expresses an element of mystery or conflict by showing a
DICHOTOMY of opposites (biggest daydream vs. worst nightmare, etc. using 2 or more
images that have been combined / interwoven together into an interesting / intriguing
5. Which Way is Up – Create a painting that can be viewed from different directions, upside down,
6. Put together a still life and paint it!
7. Take a random object (shoe, rag doll, etc.) and create a painted composition of that object in
a wide variety of sizes that overlap. OR take a variety of random objects to arrange in
sizes that are incorrect.
8. Find a title of a book (that you’ve read or not read), lyrics to a song, poem, short phrase or
saying, or even music without words, and paint what it means to YOU!
9. Open up a dictionary and pick 3 random words to combine into a painting.
10. Create a painting using only a palette knife.
11. Create a painting of your choice that is CHALLENGING to you.
Ø EACH PAINTING MUST HAVE AN “ARTIST’S STATEMENT” worksheet filled out that describes the process and intent of the work.
Ø RESEARCH PAPER OR POWERPOINT: Final Art History Overview Research Paper – In Depth Study of an Artist and their Artwork
1. 3 pages, typed OR powerpoint – with visuals.
2. You must include information about the artist’s life, how they became interested in art, their educational
background, why they paint what they paint – where they get their inspiration, and any other interesting information about them.
3. Pick at least one piece that the artist has created and write a paragraph(s) explaining how the Elements
and Principles of Art were used. Also talk about what the artist was trying to communicate in their artwork.
Ø PAINTING STYLES: We will learn, recognize, and understand different styles of painting such as realism,
impressionism, abstract, surrealism, etc. We will also be learning about contemporary artists
that are creating, exhibiting, and selling their own unique artwork TODAY!
1. The development of creative and critical thinkers. Every human being needs to have a creative outlet!
2. A working understanding of the visual language.
3. An awareness of art as a multi-cultural experience.
4. Further development of craft media and techniques.
1. Start on time, and make good use of your class time.
2. Everyone joins in, and everyone participates. Share your ideas!
3. One speaker at a time, and also be a good listener.
4. Treat others the way you wish to be treated.
Each assignment will be graded on the following:
1. Design / Composition: Does your artwork show an understanding of composition with the use of visual
movement, center of interest, and other qualities of design?
2. Craftsmanship / Presentation: Does your artwork show a high level of technical excellence and attention
3. Expressive Qualities: Every assignment will provide an opportunity to make your artistic creation unique
to YOU! Does your artwork express a mood, energy, or feelings in a unique and engaging way?
4. Effort: Your grade will reflect your effort, attitude, and use of class time.
Ø A: Superior work, concepts mastered, uses class time to the fullest, takes risks & attempts difficult challenges.
Ø B: Above average work, understands concepts fully, uses class time well.
Ø C: Average work, understands concepts, does not waste class time. Completes only minimum requirements.
Ø D: Below average work, does not understand concepts, wastes class time, does not complete minimum requirements. Poor attendance.
Ø F: Fails to finish projects or doesn’t turn in projects. Little effort & has several absences.
1. Most of the materials needed for your projects will be provided, but if you choose to further enhance your artwork with additional items, you may do that at your own expense.
***Please do not remove any materials from the art room without permission. You are to sign them out!
Absences: In case of absences, students are expected to make up missed work by spending extra time on projects at
home or after school. Students are responsible for seeing me for information and activities missed.
Mrs. Diane Gronewold Office Phone: 763-506-6447
Anoka High School Email: email@example.com
Are there specific concerns or things I need to know about you? Please let me know me ASAP!